Good-Marseille sport suspended after brawl involving followers


Marseille's French midfielder Dimitri Payet (2nd L) reacts as players from OGC Nice (red and black jersey) and Olympique de Marseille (blue jersey) stop a fan invading the pitch  during the French L1 football match between OGC Nice and Olympique de Marseille (OM) at the Allianz Riviera stadium in Nice, southern France on August 22, 2021. - The French Ligue 1 game between Nice and Marseille was halted on August 22, 2021, when fans of the home side invaded the pitch and angrily confronted opposing player Dimitri Payet. An AFP journalist at the game said trouble flared in the 75th minute when Marseille star Payet, who had been targeted by plastic bottles every time he took a corner, lobbed one back into the stands. (Photo by Valery HACHE / AFP) (Photo by VALERY HACHE/AFP via Getty Images)

Followers invaded the sphere and brawled with gamers throughout Sunday’s Good-Marseille sport. (Valery Hache/AFP by way of Getty Pictures)

In a scene harking back to the “Malice on the Palace,” followers leapt over boundaries and brawled with gamers and safety employees throughout Sunday’s Ligue 1 sport between Good and Marseille. 

The incident came about across the 74-minute mark of the Good dwelling sport in France’s prime soccer league, which simply welcomed followers again to the stands at full capability this month amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Water bottle thrown from stands ignites chaos

Broadcast video of the sport exhibits Marseille’s Dimitri Payet stand up after being knocked to the bottom by a water bottle thrown from the stands. Payet had been making ready for a nook kick in shut proximity to Good followers. He responded by throwing a bottle again into the stands. Safety and gamers then gathered round Payet on the baseline as followers leapt out out of the stands and onto the sphere behind the aim.

A swarm of followers then broached baseline boundaries and overran the pitch, the place they fought with gamers and safety employees.

Followers had been shortly corralled off the pitch as safety employees sought to usher gamers into their respective locker rooms. As safety guided Marseille gamers towards its sideline, extra followers invaded the pitch, however had been largely refrained from gamers. Chaos then resumed amid a mass of gamers, employees and safety earlier than Marseille gamers finally left the sphere for his or her locker room.

Play was then suspended with Good main, 1-0.

What sparked the brawl

Closeup replay exhibits the incident that sparked the chaos. As Payet ready for his nook kick, a full water bottle thrown from the stands pelted him at the back of the top and knocked him to the bottom. 

AFP reviews that followers threw water bottles at Payet all through the sport each time he took a nook. When the final one knocked him to the bottom, he threw one again into the stands, and chaos ensued. A closeup angle exhibits an individual recognized as a Marseille staffer punching one of many invading followers and knocking him to the bottom on the onset of brawl. 

After returning to the locker room, Marseille’s Luan Peres and Matteo Guendouzi had been photographed with obvious accidents to their necks.

Marseille refused to retake area

After the chaos concluded, Ligue 1 authorities referred to as for the sport to renew. Marseille gamers, nevertheless, had already showered, and the group refused to rejoin Good on the sphere.

Marseille group president Pablo Longoria defined the group’s determination on the Prime Video broadcast. He mentioned that the sport’s referee supported ending the sport and criticized the league’s governing physique for calling for it to proceed.

“We have to set precedents for French soccer,” Longoria mentioned, per Get French Soccer Information. “The referee was with us, he confirmed that to us that security was not assured. His determination was to desert the match, however the LFP determined to restart the match. It isn’t acceptable for us.”

Good president blames Marseille gamers, employees

Good president Jean-Pierre Rivère, in the meantime, blamed Marseille and its staffers for the brawl and questioned why the sport did not resume. 

Longoria reiterated the group’s determination as a matter of participant security.

“Our gamers had been attacked,” Longoria mentioned. “We determined for the security of our gamers, who had been attacked in the course of the pitch invasion, to not resume the match as a result of the security of our gamers was not assured.”

Extra from Yahoo Sports activities:



Recommended For You

About the Author: soccernews

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: